THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 18.05.2024, 11:45
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » One Language for Humankind » One Language for Humankind
One Language for Humankind
LuckDate: Saturday, 11.09.2010, 01:06 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Is it possible to create one language for all people? I guess no. It will never happen. And all those tries with Esperanto had also turned to be a failure. I myself am not sure so much that that "universal" language could promote peace in the world and help peoples to know each other better. Every nation has its own language, but still it does not mean that they all are isolated from each other, and we can't learn more about those or these things. Moreover I just think that this "Esperanto-idea" is strange...What do we need to create a universal language for? I guess now we already have it, and this is English smile People from all over the world speak it, and it broke down "language barriers" a long time ago.

TeacherDate: Saturday, 11.09.2010, 01:24 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
I think, a "universal" language is needed only in science. People of different nations don't only speak different languages, they represent their culture. And I'm quite convinced that to achieve piece in the world we don't need to speak one language. To solve all the global problems we need only a great desire to cooperate in order to achieve or to create smth. great.

In Vino Veritas...

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 11.09.2010, 08:58 | Message # 3
Dean
Awards: 2
One universal language might seem attractive and encouraging but I my opinion it's like one and the same type of thinking. If a language reflects the way we think, then why should thinking be identitical all over? I am speaking about certain thinking (mental) operations such as classification, comparison, ordering as such. These skills are universal. But who said that the language you speak and the culture in which the language functions don't influence these thinking patterns. We share skills of comparison, but do we compare things similarly? One language is good for operating machines, equipment but not for monipulating people. But the idea itself demonstartes human desire for barrierless comunication.

TeacherDate: Saturday, 11.09.2010, 09:49 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Teacher, people are ready to create a new language insted of just listening to each other in order to understand them better.

In Vino Veritas...

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 11.09.2010, 18:51 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Awards: 3
I actually have the same opinion as Teacher does, and believe it is impossible and in fact unnecessary to make up a universal language. We have different patterns of thinking and by creating one global language we can achieve a very undesirable thing - we may erase that diversity which exists as a nation's mentality. All nations are different and their minds work differently. People are proud of their culture and language, and they are happy with the choice of their distinctive national attributes. Then why do we need to be uniform?

TeacherDate: Sunday, 15.05.2011, 13:47 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Actually, we need one global language for example in the shpere of science or fast communication. But these functions are already being done by Latin and the language of dot-and-dash.

In Vino Veritas...

AsyaDate: Sunday, 19.06.2011, 12:34 | Message # 7
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I suppose that if we are speaking about the universal language as the only language of the world - that's nonsense! But if we consider this universal language to be global so that it is not a substitution for the existing languages but a good addition - why not then?
And here Latin is a bad example. The world is developing. That's why this global language should follow the progress and reflect modern living conditions.
I'm also quite sure that such a universal language is necessary. And not only in science! For example, when travelling abroad you may be sure that if you know English you won't get into some linguistic trouble.

RinaDate: Sunday, 19.06.2011, 16:48 | Message # 8
Awards: 4
Once I came across a joke that states that certain universal language is... mathematics - figures and formulas are the same in different countries biggrin

MissJaneDate: Monday, 20.06.2011, 15:28 | Message # 9
Union organizer
Awards: 3
You mean that 5 - 1 - 2 = 2? (I'll explain: if you didn't participate in the forum discussions and didn't post news entries during the semester and if you make a disgraceful hair-raising mistake during the exam, you are much likely to get 2 instead of 5. The language of mathematics is pretty simple, isn't it? biggrin )

Well, indeed, maths is a kind of language. In many cases the formalism of mathematics becomes the only way imaginable to express the physical characteristics of some phenomena and processes while their natural properties and relations cannot be not directly observed. Say, how would you describe in physical terms the gravitation, or the electrochemical polarization effect, or whatever? Even Galileo wrote: "Philosophy is written in a magnificent book (I mean the Universe) which is always open to our eyes, but only those who have managed to grasp Its language and interpret Its signs in which It was written will understand It. And It was written in the language of mathematics."
So I can easily agree that mathematics is a universal language capable of showing things which no other language will show.

NadyaDate: Sunday, 04.09.2011, 18:07 | Message # 10
Group: Moders
Nowadays, more than a billion people on our planet speak English. Some people are just going to learn it. And, obviously, there is nothing strange in it because English has already become a global language.
To my mind, there are a lot of advantages in speaking and learning English.
Firstly, this language is currently necessary for international communication. For example, according to some researches, about 80% of the world's e-mails are written in English.
Secondly, as I've already noted, English is the world language therefore it's also the language of technology, science, business and sport. Thus every person should know English so that he/she could make a successful career and just have a full and more interesting life. Besides, there is no doubt that this language can help you to be very mobile, open-minded and educated person.
Finally, I'd like to mention that there are a lot of different english instructions, signs and inscriptions which we come across in our everyday life and need to understand indeed.
On the whole, I think that English will not lose its main role and importance in the future. What is more, this language always opens new opportunities and outlooks for everybody, so why not to dive into the fascinating world of English?

LuckDate: Sunday, 04.09.2011, 23:20 | Message # 11
Union organizer
Awards: 5
I like your last point))) Why not to dive into the fascinating world of English) It sounds like a good commercial)) but that's true: you simply can't move forward and make progress without good knowledge of English. This is the bare truth. And you are right, if you want to make a career, you MUST speak English. But anyway we can see the influence of the language everywhere so there is not reason for clarifying WHY we should actually "dive into this fascinating world of English"))

ArchieDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 09:51 | Message # 12
Monitor
Group: Users
I think that it is impossible to create universal language for all the nations. Every nation lives in certain place. And every certain place has it's own specific features. No language can accomodate all the specific terms from all over the world. Universal language is just an utopia

Nikky0638Date: Wednesday, 12.09.2012, 12:34 | Message # 13
Monitor
One universal language is impossible. I think it is not without purpose God divided the nations by language barrier. The Tower of Babe, god damn it... Do you remember? If it's so we can communicate with people in other countries at the same language.
It is not right to have one language for homankind, every nation has his own traditions which must be retained...

Message edited by Nikky0638 - Tuesday, 18.09.2012, 22:50

NiakrisDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 19:22 | Message # 14
Monitor
If there is only one general language on our planet, this world will surely loose its zest, its fascination. It is so pleasant to study new languages, to cross with other cultures, make the acquaintance of new informants! Only one language and only one culture - it's so boring... The more languages, the more interesting to travell and study them))

ValerkaDate: Wednesday, 04.09.2013, 01:20 | Message # 15
Group: Reliable
I heard about one legend smile . And according to this legend, all people spoke the same language. These  people decided to build  a huge tower in their town. But then God was angry with them and wanted to stop their work,  he  done so that people began to speak different languages ​​and they stopped to understand each other. These people were at a loss. But, fortunately they decided to forget that language and divide into groups of people. From year to year new languages spread around the world. And humankind understood that one universal language is impossible.

I think you understand my opinion about this topic. All people really have own type of thinking. And of course, one universal language will not simplify communication between people!

Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » One Language for Humankind » One Language for Humankind
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024