THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Monday, 29.04.2024, 07:56
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » English Grammar Secrets » Puntuation in Compound Sentences
Puntuation in Compound Sentences
Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 07.12.2010, 14:04 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
When you write a compound sentence with the subordinate clause of time, condition, concession, use a comma if the subordinate clause precedes the main clause.

Look at the example:

When I look out of the window I see only primeval nature. Nothing more. I'm happy and healthy.

There is a punctuation mistake in the sentence. Put a comma after the word 'window'.

When I look out of the window, I see only primeval nature. Nothing more. I'm happy and healthy.

But, don't separate the main clause from the subordinate one if it is the first in the sentence.

I see only primeval nature when I look out of the window. Nothing more. I'm happy and healthy.

NekavaenDate: Wednesday, 08.12.2010, 01:15 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Thank you, Teacher. It was a good idea to draw attention to mistakes in our own messages!
Being honest, I know only the rules of Russian punctuation very well. But when it comes to writing a text in English or Japanese, I rely on my intuition only! yes I think it's because we seldom discuss this problem at the lessons. Grammar rules and lexics are main things to learn and master, not punctuation.

Grammar Link: http://www.groupa.ucoz.co.uk/forum/31-178-1

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Wednesday, 02.02.2011, 21:37

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » English Grammar Secrets » Puntuation in Compound Sentences
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024